What is the name of the island off of the east coast of Africa?
Seychelles is an archipelago of 115 islands scattered across the Indian Ocean off the east coast of Africa. It is directly north of Madagascar and 1600km east of Kenya.
What is the large island on the southern coast?
Chiloe. The Isla Grande of Chiloé is South America’s largest island and among its most striking cultural anomalies. Divided by the gentle peaks of the Coast Range, Chiloé’s eastern and western coasts are two worlds apart.
Which island is closest to South Africa?
Prince Edward Island, one of the two Prince Edward Islands (the other being Marion Island) in the southern Indian Ocean. The subantarctic island lies about 1,200 miles (1,900 km) southeast of Cape Town and 12 miles (19 km) north-northeast of Marion Island and covers an area of 18 square miles (47 square km).
What three islands are located off the east African coast?
African East Coast: Popular islands
- Nosy Be, Madagascar. Madagascar is the fourth largest island in the world at 1 580km long. …
- Mauritius. Mauritius as an island escape is a firm favourite with South Africans, some would even go so far as to label it honeymooner’s heaven. …
- Mahe, Seychelles. …
- Maldives. …
- Zanzibar Island.
Does South Africa own islands?
Marion Island, one of the two Prince Edward Islands in the southern Indian Ocean, about 1,190 miles (1,920 km) southeast of Cape Town. In 1947 South Africa proclaimed sovereignty of the islands and established a meteorological station on Marion Island in 1948. The islands are otherwise uninhabited.
What is Australia’s largest island?
- Bathurst Island (NT), 1,693 square kilometres (654 sq mi);
- K’gari, Queensland (Qld), 1,653 square kilometres (638 sq mi);
- Flinders Island (Tas), 1,359 square kilometres (525 sq mi);
- King Island (Tas), 1,091 square kilometres (421 sq mi); and.
- Mornington Island (Qld), 1,002 square kilometres (387 sq mi).